Morning Jot
Prediction watch Open Deadline 23 September 2026

Will US troops enter Iran by 23 September?

Robert Pape predicts that US troops will carry out a ground operation on Iranian territory by 23 September 2026.

  1. Saturday 22 August 2026 07:30 UTC

    Iran Talks, Ukraine Strikes and Pressure on Global Markets

    In the 24 hours ending 22 August at 07:30 UTC, Iran and Oman discussed terms for renewed negotiations. The talks also covered reopening navigation through the Strait of Hormuz.

    Masoud Pezeshkian, Iran’s president, said Iran should end the war while negotiating from strength. The United States prepared tougher sanctions against countries trading with Tehran. China remains the main challenge because it buys about 90% of Iranian oil exports.

    Allied defence chiefs discussed supporting safe navigation through Hormuz. Any operation would involve interested countries and remain outside NATO’s formal structure.

    continue briefing

  2. Friday 21 August 2026 07:30 UTC

    US Pressures Iran as Ukraine Strikes Russian Energy Sites

    In the 24 hours ending 21 August at 07:30 UTC, Washington increased economic and maritime pressure on Iran. US forces redirected 67 commercial vessels and boarded two during blockade enforcement. They also disabled three vessels that did not follow orders.

    Scott Bessent, the US treasury secretary, said Washington intended to collapse Iran’s government. Iran rejected claims that its government was near collapse. Ebrahim Rezaei, an Iranian lawmaker, proposed leaving the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty.

    The United States also imposed more sanctions on Hezbollah, an Iran-backed armed group in Lebanon. The measures target ten people and a network accused of moving hundreds of millions of dollars.

    continue briefing

  3. Thursday 20 August 2026 07:30 UTC

    Trump Targets Iran as Strikes Reshape Global Flashpoints

    In the 24 hours ending 20 August at 07:30 UTC, Donald Trump, the US president, announced sweeping new economic action against Iran. The measures target oil smuggling, money transfers, currency exchanges, ship records and front companies. They also target foreign governments and businesses helping Iran. Trump urged US allies to join the campaign.

    The United States established a protected route through the Strait of Hormuz near Oman. Around 15 to 20 tankers use the route each night. They carry nearly 10 million barrels of oil under American protection. US strikes have damaged much of Iran’s maritime surveillance network.

    continue briefing

  4. Wednesday 19 August 2026 07:30 UTC

    US-Iran Talks End as Hormuz Crisis Drives Oil and Yields Higher

    In the 24 hours ending 19 August at 07:30 UTC, Donald Trump, the US president, ordered an end to diplomatic talks with Iran. He told his administration to seek Iran’s surrender through maximum economic pressure.

    Iran told mediators it would not accept a ceasefire but wanted the war to end. Qalibaf, Iran’s top negotiator, said Hormuz would remain closed until Washington accepted interim deal conditions.

    Trump declared the Strait of Hormuz new US territory. He claimed the waterway was open and all mines had been removed. Iran rejected his claim as a delusion.

    continue briefing

  5. Tuesday 18 August 2026 07:30 UTC

    Hormuz Ship Strike Deepens Pressure as Iran Talks Continue

    In the 24 hours ending 18 August at 07:30 UTC, another cargo vessel was struck in the Strait of Hormuz. The engine room was damaged, and one crew member was injured. Oman’s coast guard assisted the remaining crew. Iran also seized a UAE-owned tanker.

    Iran said a shipping agreement with Oman was close. The plan could reopen Hormuz without fees for an unspecified period. However, Iran warned of wider escalation if diplomacy with Washington fails.

    Donald Trump, the US president, claimed the United States controls Hormuz and keeps it open. His energy secretary said regional oil flows had not fully recovered. Trump also threatened military action if Oman blocked negotiations with Iran.

    continue briefing

  6. Monday 17 August 2026 07:30 UTC

    Three More Vessels Struck as US-Iran Deadline Expires

    In the 24 hours ending 17 August at 07:30 UTC, three more vessels were struck while crossing the Strait of Hormuz. Two were in Omani waters. No injuries occurred, and all three vessels continued their journeys.

    The US-Iran ceasefire deadline expired after 60 days. Iran’s army chief, Amir Hatami, offered $30,000 for capturing or killing any American soldier.

    Donald Trump, the US president, ordered fewer joint military exercises with South Korea. He cited his strong relationship with Kim Jong Un, the North Korean leader.

    continue briefing

  7. Sunday 16 August 2026 07:30 UTC

    Hormuz Accusations Rise as Ukraine Strikes Moscow Logistics

    In the 24 hours ending 16 August at 07:30 UTC, Iran faced another accusation over attacks in the Strait of Hormuz. The UAE said Iran attacked a third ADNOC vessel within one week. ADNOC is Abu Dhabi’s state oil company. No injuries were reported.

    The UAE urged Tehran to stop the attacks and fully reopen Hormuz. It also warned that it would defend its shipping rights and national interests.

    Iran accused Qatar of holding three military pilots missing since March. Qatar said their aircraft entered its airspace and ignored contact attempts. Qatari forces then took defensive action. Search teams found one pilot’s remains, but Iran did not answer an offer to return them.

    continue briefing

  8. Saturday 15 August 2026 07:30 UTC

    Hormuz Blockade Holds as US-Iran Standoff Deepens

    In the 24 hours ending 15 August at 07:30 UTC, Iran kept the Strait of Hormuz blocked. Only two vessels crossed Friday, and no crude oil shipments passed through. Iran said the closure would continue until Washington accepted its conditions.

    Two vessels operated by ADNOC, Abu Dhabi’s state oil company, were attacked in the strait. No crew members were injured. It remains unclear whether a separate tanker drone strike involved one of these vessels.

    Donald Trump, the US president, said he may declare Hormuz US territory. He called gasoline prices 29% above last year’s level a necessary cost of confronting Iran. Iran said it alone could decide whether to open the waterway.

    continue briefing

  9. Friday 14 August 2026 07:30 UTC

    US Escalates Iran Pressure as Reaper Losses Mount

    In the 24 hours ending 14 August at 07:30 UTC, the United States increased pressure on Iran. Scott Bessent, the US treasury secretary, said Washington is preparing unprecedented economic isolation measures. Pete Hegseth, the US defence secretary, said the blockade can continue as long as needed. Iran said no vessel can safely cross the Strait of Hormuz without its permission.

    Brad Cooper, the head of US Central Command, supports renewed strikes against Iran. He gave this position to Israeli officials. The command also plans its first multinational attack-drone force. US and regional crews would operate drones in the air, on water and underwater.

    continue briefing

  10. Thursday 13 August 2026 07:30 UTC

    Hormuz Shipping Stalls as Ukrainian Drones Hit Russian Sites

    In the 24 hours ending 13 August at 07:30 UTC, shipping through Hormuz remained near a standstill. Only 14 vessels crossed on Tuesday, compared with about 120 before the war. Eleven used an Iranian-approved route. None used the traditional central passage.

    Donald Trump, the US president, said America had total control of the Strait of Hormuz. He also suggested that the United States could keep control of the strait. Iran denied that talks had extended its 60-day ceasefire with Washington.

    Iran said negotiations had made no progress. It accused Washington of breaking an interim agreement shortly after signing it. Hormuz remains a central dispute between both sides.

    continue briefing