Saturday 15 August 2026 07:30 UTC
Hormuz Blockade Holds as US-Iran Standoff Deepens
In the 24 hours ending 15 August at 07:30 UTC, Iran kept the Strait of Hormuz blocked. Only two vessels crossed Friday, and no crude oil shipments passed through. Iran said the closure would continue until Washington accepted its conditions.
Two vessels operated by ADNOC, Abu Dhabi’s state oil company, were attacked in the strait. No crew members were injured. It remains unclear whether a separate tanker drone strike involved one of these vessels.
Donald Trump, the US president, said he may declare Hormuz US territory. He called gasoline prices 29% above last year’s level a necessary cost of confronting Iran. Iran said it alone could decide whether to open the waterway.
continue reading below
Formal talks between Washington and Tehran remain stalled. Abbas Araqchi, Iran’s foreign minister, said Tehran had not decided whether to resume negotiations. Qatar and Pakistan are carrying messages between both sides, but these contacts are not negotiations.
US Central Command denied that Brad Cooper, its commander, was pushing for renewed strikes on Iran. This denial challenges information included in the previous report.
Early Iranian strikes heavily damaged Naval Support Activity Bahrain, a US Navy base. The damage forced regional logistics support to move about 2,200 miles to Diego Garcia. This contributed to supply problems and a longer deployment for the USS Abraham Lincoln. Iran later fired two ballistic missiles toward Diego Garcia. One fell short, and US forces intercepted the other.
A Houthi attack targeted Yemen’s Mocha Port. Two ships caught fire during the attack.
Ukraine launched a major overnight drone raid across Russia. Drones hit the Ust-Luga gas processing complex on the Baltic Sea. Ukraine also launched a Flamingo cruise missile toward a rocket plant in Samara.
An Italian fighter serving NATO shot down a drone inside Latvian airspace. Officials said the drone was probably Russian, but its origin remained unconfirmed.
Jane Street, a trading firm, lost about $15 billion during July’s AI market selloff. This was its first negative trading-revenue month since 2016. The firm has still generated more than $40 billion in revenue this year. It reduced risk and plans to become more selective.
Washington is preparing to warn partner countries against joining Chinese AI programs. Countries joining Beijing’s coalition could lose access to a US-led technology group. The US wants tighter control over AI chips, models and critical minerals.
The United States is also asking NATO allies to document support for Trump policies and defence spending. Their answers will inform a review of US military numbers in Europe.
Luigi Mangione, accused of killing UnitedHealthcare chief Brian Thompson, pleaded guilty to two federal stalking charges. He admitted researching Thompson before travelling to New York with plans to kill him. There was no plea agreement. Sentencing is set for 18 December, and each charge could bring life imprisonment.
The Trump administration asked the Supreme Court to allow continued construction of a $400 million White House ballroom. A lower court ruled that the project needed approval from Congress. The administration said stopping work would create security risks.
The US Army temporarily halted Apache training flights after Tuesday’s fatal crash in Texas. The crash killed both pilots, and investigators have not identified a cause.